Stream Using Your Xbox or Playstation
While many streamers choose to start streaming with a laptop or computer, the good news is that for most gamers, you have everything you need to start streaming already in your living room. If you’ve got a current-gen PlayStation or Xbox, you can be live on Twitch in just a few simple steps.
1. Create a Twitch account from a mobile device or computer. We recommend downloading Twitch on your iOS or Android phone to adjust your stream settings on the fly, which is easy to do with your Stream Manager in the app. Also, don’t forget to turn on Two-Factor Authentication to keep your account safe.
2. Download the Twitch Xbox app from the Microsoft Store. Note: you don’t need the PlayStation app in order to broadcast from your PlayStation.
3. Personalize your channel by adding elements that reflect your personal brand to set yourself apart. This will help viewers know who you are when they discover your page! You can modify your profile photo and bio on mobile, or customize a number of additional settings via a web browser. We’ve set up an entire Creator Camp page on Personal Branding to show you all of the places you can customize your channel page to reflect you and your brand.
4. Before you start streaming, we recommend that you log in to your account from a web browser so you can establish your Moderation and Safety settings to ensure the experience for your growing community is positive. AutoMod is a great tool to serve as your first line of defense for moderation because it will detect messages in chat that have been flagged as inappropriate and block them from appearing until you or a moderator review and approve. You can also update your settings to include a custom list of words or phrases to filter from your channel automatically.
5. The quality of your audio is critical in helping you connect with viewers. There are a few great, affordable headsets with built-in microphone settings, like the Turtle Beach Recon 200, which work for all consoles and PC, that ensure great audio for your stream.
6. If you’re interested in adding a webcam to your stream, you’ll need to purchase one as they aren’t built into consoles. For the PlayStation, the only option is to use the PS4 Camera. For Xbox, you can use any standard USB Camera. We’ve made a few suggestions in our Hardware Recommendations with a variety of price ranges to fit your budget.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you’re ready to go live! Below you’ll find the specific instructions for going live on both Playstation and Xbox, as well as a list of references and third-party documentation to help you troubleshoot if you have issues.
Streaming from PlayStation
- First, link your account on PlayStation by following the directions on your screen and scanning the QR code or inputting the code provided to twitch.tv/activate.
- While playing a game, press the Share button on your controller and select “Broadcast Gameplay” from the Share menu, and select Twitch.
- You can choose your video options, give your stream a title, add in your PlayStation Camera if available, and invite your friends to start watching.
Tip: You will automatically be placed in the game category for the game you’re playing. For maximum searchability and follower engagement, we recommend using the Twitch iOS or Android app so you can select a custom go live notification and add in additional tags.
- Click “Select Broadcasting” and you’re now live!
- To stop streaming, press the Share button on your controller, select “Broadcast Settings” from the Share menu, and then select “Stop Broadcasting”.
PlayStation Support: How to Stream Gameplay with Broadcast
PlayStation User Guide: Broadcasting Your Gameplay
Streaming from Xbox
- First, open the Twitch app and link your Xbox account to Twitch by following the directions on your screen and inputting the code provided to twitch.tv/activate.
- Before you go live for the first time, ensure your Privacy settings have “Online status & history” set to “Everybody” in the “Others can see if you’re online” setting.
- You’ll also need to set the “You can broadcast gameplay” setting to “Allow” under “Game Content”.
- If you’re using a camera, make sure that “You can share content made using Kinect or other cameras” is set to “Allow”.
- From the Twitch app, select the Broadcast tab where you can choose your video options, give your stream a title, and add in your microphone and camera if available.
Tip: You will automatically be placed in the game category for the game you’re playing. For maximum searchability and follower engagement, we recommend using the Twitch iOS or Android app so you can select a custom go-live notification and add in additional tags.
- Select “Start Streaming” and you’re now live!
- Once you start the broadcast, you can select the game you want to play during your stream by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
To stop broadcasting, relaunch the Twitch app by pressing the Xbox button and select “Stop Streaming”.
Help Article: Xbox Broadcasting and Troubleshooting
Xbox Support: How to stream from Twitch on Xbox One
Personalize your Stream
Streamlabs Studio and Lighstream are cloud-based streaming studios that enable you to add overlays, alerts, scenes, and other media to your Xbox stream without needing to invest in a streaming computer or capture card. Set up your project in a web browser and your customizations will be added to your stream automatically every time you go live. You can even use your mobile device as a remote control to change scenes from the comfort of your couch! To use either Streamlabs Studio or Lightstream, a plan is required.
Check out our help page to learn more or visit Streamlabs Studio to explore plans and product details.
Both Xbox and PlayStation can stream to Twitch through Lightstream. Lightstream is a cloud-based streaming studio where you can add overlays, alerts, multiple scenes, and other media to your broadcast without needing to invest in a streaming computer or capture card. Set up your project in a web browser and your customizations will be added to your stream automatically every time you go live. There’s even a remote control to change scenes using your mobile device. To use the integration, a Lightstream plan is required. All plans include a 7-day free trial and start at $8/month. Learn more about Lightstream.
On Xbox, select Lightstream as your destination in the Twitch Xbox app. Lightstream will layer on your customizations and send to your Twitch channel.