Branding and Analytics
New Viewer Retention
In general, community members like it when creators interact with them. In fact, users who chat in their first visit are 50% more likely to come back to that channel. Here are some easy ways to get first time viewers engaged:
- Respond in stream when your community talks to you on chat
- Welcome and mention new people to your channel on stream
- Encourage community members to talk to and mention each other, helping to foster a sense of community among your viewers
Viewers are most engaged in the first 15 and last 15 minutes of your stream, using strong calls-to-action (also known as CTAs) periodically while streaming can be very effective. Examples of this would be:
- Prioritize verbal reminders to follow and turn on notifications
- Set up alerts for your overlay to acknowledge new followers on screen
- Set up chatbot to remind viewers on a timer to follow and turn on notifications
- Add the Dynamic Follow Buttons Extension as an overlay or component
- Display “follow me” text call to action on offline banner and/or panels
Examples of strong CTAs:
- “If you’re enjoying my stream, hit the follow button above and turn on notifications”
- !follow - “Enjoying the stream? Don’t forget to follow and turn on notifications to know when I go live!”
- “I’m going to be live tomorrow at 5pm Pacific, so don’t forget to turn on notifications if you want to be automatically reminded”
- !schedule - “I stream M-F at 5pm Pacific. Turn on notifications for a reminder when I go live”
- “Did you know you can subscribe to my channel for free if you connect your Twitch account to Amazon Prime?”
- !prime - “Connect your Twitch and Amazon accounts for a free subscription every month. Learn more here”
Twitch Recommended Tools
Twitch also offers a number of tools to help creators increase the engagement in their chat, and increase the likelihood that a first time visitor returns to a future stream.
Polls are a quick and easy way for you to ask your community a question in chat.
Streamers can start a poll at anytime and viewers can begin to vote on their option.
Polls are a simple solution to increase engagement on your channel
Channel Points is a customizable and channel-specific points system that allows you to reward members of your community
During a MegaCheer event, viewers that cheer a certain amount get exclusive emotes and randomly gift emotes for other viewers in the channel. The larger the MegaCheer, the greater the number of gifts given to other viewers.