Founded in June 2011, Twitch is the world’s leading social video platform and community for gamers. Each month, more than 100 million community members gather to watch and talk about video games with more than 1.7 million broadcasters. Twitch’s live and video on demand platform caters to the entire video game industry, including game developers, publishers, media outlets, events, casual content creators, and the entire esports scene.
By the Numbers
- 100+ million unique viewers per month
- 1.7+ million unique broadcasters per month
- 15,000+ members of the Twitch Partner Program
- 106 minutes watched per person per day
- 2+ million peak concurrent sitewide viewers
Why do people broadcast?
It’s fun and represents a compelling new social network to connect with friends and fans over a shared love of games. Many broadcasters are making a living on Twitch based solely on how they entertain and interact with their audiences.
Why are people watching others play video games on Twitch?
People enjoy watching others who are highly skilled or entertaining when it involves a shared interest. Twitch, however, is much more than a viewing experience; It is live social video that relies on audio and chat to enable broadcasters and their audiences to interact about everything from pop culture to life in general as they game.
What are they watching?
- Publishers/Developers: Every major video game publisher and developer has a Twitch channel.
- Editorial: All of the top video game media sites have a Twitch channel.
- Events: Conventions all over the world have embraced Twitch for panels, press conferences and show floor activities.
- Esports: Competitive gaming has its own ecosystem with shows and events dedicated to this growing sport. Twitch features the top teams, leagues, players and every major event.
- User Generated Programming: Original content created by community members, whether it’s casual gaming with friends, a unique subculture like speedrunning, or a Twitch Plays game built with chat-driven gameplay.
- Charity: Millions have been raised by charities using Twitch as platform.
- Games: Every game and game genre is on Twitch! Check out our Top Games list to see what’s currently hot.
- Twitch Creative: Twitch Creative is a destination for artists to showcase the creative process, whether it’s painting a picture, composing a song or cooking a meal. Rules for the Creative channel are outlined here.