Streaming from your Xbox Series X or S on Twitch
While many streamers choose to start streaming with a laptop or computer, the good news is that for most gamers, you have everything you need to start streaming already in your living room. If you’ve got an Xbox Series X or S, you can be live on Twitch in just a few simple steps.
1. Create a Twitch account from a mobile device or computer. We recommend downloading Twitch on your iOS or Android phone to adjust your stream settings on the fly, which is easy to do with your Stream Manager in the Twitch app.
2. Personalize your channel so viewers know who you are when they discover your page! You can modify your profile photo and bio on mobile, or customize a number of additional settings via a web browser. We’ve set up an entire Creator Camp page on Personal Branding to show you all of the places you can customize your channel page to reflect you and your brand.
3. Before you start streaming, we recommend that you log in to your account from a web browser so you can establish your Moderation and Safety settings to ensure the experience for your growing community is positive. AutoMod is a great tool to serve as your first line of defense for moderation because it will detect messages in chat that have been flagged as inappropriate and block them from appearing until you or a moderator review and approve. You can also update your settings to include a custom list of words or phrases to filter from your channel automatically.
Streaming from the Xbox Series X or S:1. First, you’ll need to download the Twitch application from the Microsoft Store. 2. Open the Twitch application and select the Broadcast tab at the top of the screen. Then link your account on Xbox by, following the directions on your screen and input the code provided to twitch.tv/activate.
4. Now adjust your settings! Title your stream to tell viewers what you’re doing. Adjust your camera placement and microphone settings before you choose your video quality options.
Tip: You will automatically be placed in the game category for the game you’re playing. For maximum searchability and follower engagement, we recommend using the Twitch iOS or Android app so you can select a custom go-live notification and add in additional tags.
5. Press “Select Broadcasting” and you’re now live! Please note that the app only broadcasts gameplay. If a game is not in focus while broadcasting, such as if you return to the Dashboard, the Store, or check your messages, a “pause loop” will be shown to the viewers.
6. To stop streaming, press the Xbox button on your controller, select the Twitch Application from the menu, and then select “Stop Broadcasting”.
To increase the quality of your Xbox streams, we recommend ensuring upgraded audio and visuals. The quality of your audio is critical in helping you connect with viewers. If you’re interested in adding a webcam to your stream, you’ll need to purchase a compatible camera.
Personalize your Stream
Streamlabs Studio and Lighstream are cloud-based streaming studios that enable you to add overlays, alerts, scenes, and other media to your Xbox stream without needing to invest in a streaming computer or capture card. Set up your project in a web browser and your customizations will be added to your stream automatically every time you go live. You can even use your mobile device as a remote control to change scenes from the comfort of your couch! To use either Streamlabs Studio or Lightstream, a plan is required.
Check out our help page to learn more or visit Streamlabs Studio and Lightstream to explore plans and product details.
Under the Destination setting, you have the option to stream directly to Twitch, or use Lightstream. Lightstream is a cloud-based streaming studio where you can add overlays, alerts, multiple scenes, and other media to your Xbox stream without needing to invest in a streaming computer or capture card. Set up your project in a web browser and your customizations will be added to your stream automatically every time you go live. There’s even a remote control to change scenes using your mobile device. To use the integration, a Lightstream plan is required.
Curious how it works?
Prefer to read? Visit the LightstreamStreamer Handbook.