Skip to content

Creator Camp

Bits and Subscriptions


Subscriptions let your community support you on a consistent basis and get rewarded with exclusive perks for doing so. Aside from the good vibes, subscribers gain access to custom global emotes usable across all of Twitch, subscriber badges, ad-free viewing, and more.

Subscriptions (aka subs)A Subscription allows a viewer to pay a minimum of $4.99 per month to support your channel, either on a recurring or one-time basis. Subscribers (subs) get access to your emotes and other benefits you can define.

There are multiple tiers available to subscribers that want to provide additional levels of support by raising the rate to $9.99 or $24.99 a month.
Gifted SubscriptionsGifted subscriptions are exactly what they sound like. A way for viewers to gift a one-month subscription to your channel to another user. The gifted subscription supports your channel just like a typical sub and gift recipients have the option to become a regular subscriber after their first month expires. As your channel grows, gift subscriptions are a great way for your biggest fans to help grow your community.
Prime GamingPrime Gaming is included with Amazon Prime and includes a ton of great perks for viewers, including one free channel subscription per month. Prime Gaming members who use that free sub to support you are set up on a non-recurring basis, so it’s always a good idea to remind your Prime Gaming subscribers to renew every month.
Sub-Only PerksTiered subs, Prime subs, and gifted subs are all eligible to receive exclusive benefits like emotes, tenure-based chat badges, sub-only VODs, commercial free viewing (with limited exceptions), and sub-only chat. As the owner of your channel, you can decide what makes sense for your community.

Quick note: On the subject of Bits and Sub Subscriptions for creators outside of the United States. Local Sub Pricing is great for fans who want to support their favorite streamers, and for creators worldwide who will be able to grow their communities. Be sure to educate your community on the difference and what it does to support you as a creator. We’ve prepped more info about Local Sub Pricing here


Bits are a virtual good that your viewers can use to Cheer in chat to show support, celebrate moments, and amplify their voice. When a viewer Cheers, animated Bit gem emotes,  Cheermotes (animated versions of popular emotes), or custom Cheermotes (for Partners) appear in Chat. You receive $0.01 for each Bit used in your chat.

Bits can also be used in certain extensions for your channel page. When your audience uses Bits in extensions, you’ll receive 80% of $0.01 for each Bit used in the extension and the extension developer will receive the remaining 20%.

Bits are also more reliable than third party donation methods because as a streamer,  you’re protected against chargebacks or any other potential payment issues. It’s all handled within Twitch, so you can rest easy and focus on entertaining your community.

Remember, viewers Cheer and subscribe because they enjoy watching you! Think about your content first, and monetization second. The more entertaining and engaged you are with viewers, the more naturally your revenue will increase. If you’re craving even more on Bits you can read our Bits Acceptable Use Policy .

Do’s and Don’ts

  • Acknowledge viewers as they support your channel with Cheers or subs. Visual alerts and verbal “thank yous” are easy ways to do this.
  • It can be fun to use Cheering with Bits as a way for your viewers to express gratitude or offer encouragement.
  • Set sub and Bits goals for your stream. You can work with your community to hit these goals and celebrate together when you do.
  • Provide some kind of “return” for support. Twitch offers sub emotes, badges, and other benefits, but you can get creative and offer things like a dedicated day to play games with subs on stream.
  • Don’t make users feel guilty if they cannot subscribe or use Bits, watching you or participating in chat might be their way of showing support.
  • Don’t overly monetize multiple aspects of your stream. Users can feel disengaged if the primary focus of your content is generating revenue.
  • Don’t be afraid to talk about money. Your viewers want to support you and sometimes aren’t sure how to.
  • Don’t forget to acknowledge your viewers support, whether that’s via alerts, a verbal “thank you”, or extra subscriber benefits. Users are more likely to support you in the future if they feel appreciated and acknowledged.

Now that you are more familiar with how bits and subscriptions work you’re ready to learn about Running Ads on your channel during your monetization journey. 

Looking for more information to help you on your journey as a Twitch creator? Check out the Creator Camp Homepage to read through our other categories.